Monday, November 18, 2013

Churning and the rain

 

June 3, 1931 - I got a letter from Aunt Nan, Mayme, and the invitation to the Alumni Banquet.  Mother cleaned half of the back porch and cellar today.  I churned down the cellar today because it was so warm.  It started raining about 7:00 so didn't get to go to the chivari dance at Hoskins.  Mom, Ray and I played Pinochle.  I wrote to Florence S., Martha and Mayme.
June 4, 1931 - I ironed this morning and Mother finished cleaning the cellar and porch. Dora, George and Ralph came up here this evening.  Ralph, Ray and I went down town and got Florence Schellenberg and then went out to Annie and Ola's.  Florence Frink is coming in tomorrow nite to go to the Alumni Banquet.
June 5, 1931 - I finished the ironing this morning.  It started raining this morning and kept it up all day.  Florence F. didn't come in for the banquet.  F.S. went with us and after the banquet we played pinochle rummy up here.  There was supposed to have been a chivari dance in Hoskins tonite.  We were going with R.K. but the rain spoiled our plans.

I wonder how good I would have been at churning.  I think boredom would overtake me, but perhaps it is possible to read and churn at the same time.  Of course, I would probably alter my pace depending on how exciting the book was. 

I wish I could go back in time and spend just one day in 1931.  How odd to think that the roads were such that rain would spoil plans.  That is certainly nothing I have had to worry about in my lifetime.  I've had to pull over when the rain was too crazy, but normal rains long or short do not interfere with our lives today.  I guess I should say that living out here where there is little gravel on the roads, that some of my drives into Lincoln have been a little exciting right after a good rain.

I think it is neat that Grandma was going to the Alumni Banquet as soon as the year after she graduated.  I wonder if she ever missed one -- I know she went in 2005 and that if she missed any in all those intervening years, it was not her choice.  The photo is from that 2005 banquet.  That dress is the one she wore at my wedding earlier that year.

No comments:

Post a Comment