Thursday, November 7, 2013

Happy days


May 4, 1931 - I came home for dinner today.  This afternoon I took my spring coat to the cleaners.  It started raining this afternoon and I had to walk halfway home in the rain.  Gildersleeves gave me a lift the rest of the way.  Aunt Mary, Uncle Charlie and I played 500 Rummy tonite.
May 5, 1931 - I walked downtown after school tonite with Francis, Illa, and Evelyn Larson.  Evelyn has absolutely no use for boys and the girls have a lot of fun teasing her.  I went home on the train tonite and went to see "Tea Topper Tavern", the Senior Class Play.  It was real good.  The kids knew their parts real well.
May 6, 1931 - I came back on the train this morning.  I wore my winter coat so it would warm up.  Jane took me home this afternoon.  Barbara, Lila and Florence were along.  We went down to Jones' and saw the line of dresses they have.

I attempted to find out something about Tea Topper Tavern and its plot.  I located some archived newspaper articles saying this or that high school was putting on that particular play, but nothing past 1935.  So, as much as Grandma enjoyed it, it must not have possessed the agelessness to allow it to be popular very long.  But, so long as she had fun.

I have not retained the date in my mind since I have much happier days to remember, but yesterday was eight years since Grandma died.  Here is a photo from her last birthday party.  She very much looks like she had fun that day as well.  I like to think that for some of us, she does possess an agelessness.  As most of us know, Grandma was not big on smiling broadly for posed photos, so this little smile warms my heart a lot.

4 comments:

  1. She looks so nice in this picture. I remember the necklace and dress always looked great on her. I also love the smile. It was a happy day. Let's all remember her this way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that.
    Doesn't seem possible she has been gone 8 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs I. touched and IMPROVED many lives, thank you for sharing. Jim H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And thanks to all for reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete