Monday, December 2, 2013

Baking

 

July 12, 1931 - We slept until 11:30 this morning.  Ray, Mildred, R.K. and I went out to Schellenberg's this afternoon.  Edwin and Hans were there.  We took pictures.  Tonite we took Mildred back to Wayne.
July 13, 1931 - We washed today.  Mother went to Laura Christensen's funeral this afternoon.  I fixed a stocking for Mrs. Schellenberg.  Tonite Grussfather, Ray, Mother and I went out to Ola's.  Today is Ray's last day with Thorvald Jacobsen.
July 14, 1931 - Ray and Grussfather chopped down one of the cottonwoods over home.  I took my first lesson in baking bread and coffee cake.  I had real good luck.  R.K. came up this evening and we went out to Ralph and Clara's.  We talked about "old" times.

I did not figure out who Laura Christensen was from the William Andersen relatives.  Maybe someone reading knows who she was. 

What??  Grandma wasn't born knowing how to bake fabulous breads and coffee cakes?  I wouldn't have guessed.  I suppose, at my age I should make good on my threat to have Mom teach me to bake bread.  I can do quick breads, but for some reason yeast breads scare me.  Maybe because I have tried and failed on my own.  I think I know what I did wrong, but why waste time and resources when my dear mother can teach me?

Does anyone know where the cottonwoods would have been?  I do not recall seeing any at Grandma and Grandpa's place.

Nice that Grandma knows that at her age in 1931, she needed quotes for the word old when speaking of times.

Here's an older, but not old enough photo.  Is that an apricot tree or was the one closest to the house more to the east than the one here?

No comments:

Post a Comment