Monday, December 9, 2013

Quilt work and more quilt work

 

August 2, 1931 - We went to church this morning.  Ray went up to Uncle Hans' with Ralph and Edwin.  Uncle Hans and Aunt Lena left for Missouri this noon.  Dora and George were up this afternoon.  Mom and I canned 15 pints of beet pickles this afternoon.  We boiled them yesterday.  Went out to Ehler's with the boys and washed the separator.  Ehler's are gone for the weekend.  R.K., Ray, Willy, Edwin, Florence and I went to King's to the dance tonite.  The hall surely is pretty now.
August 3, 131 - The middle of this afternoon Mom got the quilt piecing craze.  She hunted up all her old scraps and got started.  She made two blocks this afternoon.
August 4, 1931 - We cleaned 4 old hens and pickled them this morning.  This afternoon Mother made 12 more quilt blocks.  I worked on my quilt, too.

I wonder if Grandma's definition of a "quilt piecing craze" changed over the years, because she could certainly crank out some quilt blocks.

Pickled chicken?  I do not believe I have ever heard of that.  Canned stock or canned chicken, but not pickled.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever had or heard of pickled chicken. Wonder just how they used it - eat it just as it was or heat it? Heated pickled chicken just doesn't sound right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.wikihow.com/Pickle-Chicken

    May have to try this with the older ladies.

    ReplyDelete