Thursday, December 26, 2013

Fatal . . . tee hee


 
August 29, 1931 - I finished getting my clothes fixed up today.  Tonite I went over to the church to attend the farewell party for Marvin.  We played games and had a real good time.  There were about 24 there.  It was about 12 o'clock when I got home.
August 30, 1931 - We went to church this morning.  This afternoon Annie and Ola came and we came here.  We stopped at the schoolhouse first and Annie helped me get out my books.  Nobody was here tonite.  I lit the lamp and read a magazine until they came home.  They had been to Norfolk to see Mildred.  She was operated on for appendicitis last nite.
August 31, 1931 - The first fatal day of school!  It wasn't so bad.  And I didn't cry either after all the pupils had gone like they said I would.  We had school all day.  I have 8 pupils, 2 girls and 6 boys.

I am guessing Marvin is Marvin Trautwein, the naughty boy who used notes for his speech at high school graduation, even though he was not supposed to.  I wonder where he was going that warranted a farewell party.

I think it is interesting that Grandma was told she would cry after the pupils left on the first day.  I wonder if that was experienced teachers talking or someone at the college.  Regardless, I can't imagine it is a widely-held belief nowadays.  Unless, the crying was tears of joy.  (I am kidding.)

Sorry for my lack of posting in the last week or so.  One wouldn't think that Thanksgiving being just slightly later than other years would throw off my Christmas preparations so much.  Especially since I start my shopping in the summer.  And now, I have a head cold which makes my brain fuzzier than usual, but I shall soldier on.

No comments:

Post a Comment