Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bumps in the road


July 30, 1931 - I went to Wayne this morning with Mr. and Ed Schellenberg, went to Miss Sewell's and had my certificate registered.  This afternoon Ray took Mom and I to Walkers and I got my contract.  Janson wasn't home so I'll have to get him some other time.  Ralph, Ray and I went to the pavement dance at Stanton.  Irvin M. and Helen C. were there.  We had a real good time.  Ray took Esther M. home.
July 31, 1931 - This morning Ray and I cracked and picked out a cupful of black walnut meats besides all we ate.  We got some ice tonite and went out to Ola's and had black walnut ice cream.  Mother and I canned 11 quarts of beet pickles this afternoon.
August 1, 1931 - Florence called up this forenoon and said Janson was home.  Mother and I took Ray out to Ola's and then took the Ford and went to Schellenberg's.  Florence took their car then. Janson wouldn't sign but Strate did, so I've got my school.  We had a terrible time.  Florence and I were tired and crabby tonite and the boys surely found it out. Edwin stayed with Ralph tonite.

I wonder what Janson's problem was, but it sounds like all was well in the end.

I guess the girls were cranky enough that Edwin and Ralph had to have an all-night recovery together to commiserate about them.  Ha!

Black walnut ice cream . . . if that doesn't sound dreamy, I don't know what does.  Well, maybe beet pickles.  I like those, too!

I don't know that I've used this photo before, but thought I would for two reasons.  Uncle Ray is in it (Grandma, too, of course) and Grandma will soon be teaching kids and these are kids.  I am sooooo clever sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment