Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Not a baseball bat

 

July 18, 1931 - I cleaned up the house today.  Irvin and Chris Ruschman were supposed to come tonite but they didn't.  We went up to Carroll but there wasn't any dance.  We didn't stay.  When Mom came home she saw a bat on the sidewalk.  We caught it and it's the funniest looking thing I ever saw.
July 19, 1931 - Uncle Hans' birthday.  We went to church this morning.  The folks went up to Uncle Hans' today.  After dinner Ralph came and Ralph, Edwin and I went up to Carroll.  Flossie was at her uncle's.  We were up there until after lunch.  I went up to see Mrs. Smith a few minutes.  We went to Uncle Hans' and at about 9:00 all of us kids went over to Uncle Max's and had ice cream.  Aunt Emma gave me a new dress.
July 20, 1931 - I was awfully tired today.  We went out to Pryor's this evening.  We had a taste of spring chicken and was it good!  Florence and I had a good talk.  She gave me some pieces for my quilt.  I worked on Annabelle's dresses that I'm making for her.

Wow.  I can't imagine Grandma in her later years finding a bat to be funny-looking rather than maybe, hideous.  I wonder what they did with it afterwards.

Didn't I post a while back about no mention of going to church?  I guess I'm psychic or something because now here Grandma is writing about it.

Grandma seems to have been very fond of Mrs. Smith.  I do not remember her talking about her myself.

Seems to me the folks in 1931 ate a lot of ice cream.  Here it shows up again and I know there is more of it coming in future posts.  I rather miss homemade ice cream.  You can buy it (made right in the store in old-fashioned ice cream makers) in Lincoln, but I don't think it is the same as what we used to make with the crank machine that seemed to a little kid so take forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment