Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Peaches and sweet corn


August 5, 1931 - Ray, Mother and I went to Norfolk this morning.  We got a bushel of peaches, a sack of sugar and other odds and ends.  Mother worked on her quilt this afternoon and I worked on mine.  Aunt Mary and Uncle Charlie were here for supper.  Ralph came up and we went down town.  Loretta, Helen, Esther and I had the most fun, the best we've had for a long time.
August 6, 1931 - We worked on our quilts again today.  We've been eating peaches today and they taste awfully good.
August 7, 1931 - We canned peaches all day today.  Tonite Ralph, Pete and Clara came up and we went out to Ola's for awhile.  They were just eating supper and I had a roasting ear with them.

I know I've used the photo before, but I really like it especially Uncle Raymond's little toes all curled up.  That's rather what I do when I have a good ear of sweet corn.

I remember "helping" Grandmas can peaches.  She poured boiling water over them and then the peels came right off.  I was usually impatient and tried to get the peels off before they had sat long enough.  That was pretty silly because the longer they sat, the easier they were to peel.  Patience is a virtue, but difficult when you are a kid chomping at the bit to have fun.  Even if fun is removing the peel from a peach in one piece.  And as good as fresh peaches are, Grandma's home canned peaches were even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment