Friday, December 6, 2013

Lead on a job

 

July 24, 1931 - I did my big ironing this morning.  And it was a big ironing.  I worked on my quilt this afternoon and finished Mom's buffet scarf.  Florence came up after me and we went to choir practice together.  Ralph was here awhile after choir practice.
July 25, 1931 - We cleaned up the house today.  I worked on my quilt this afternoon.  Ralph, Edwin and Florence came up tonite.  We went down town and found Claus and Ervin and Earl Frost.  They had just got to Winside.  "Pat" and Ervin went to Carroll with us to the dance.  We had a pretty good time.  Florence stayed all nite with me.  Mrs. Schellenberg told me that District 86 didn't have a teacher yet.
July 26, 1931 - We got up at 8:30 this morning and went to church.  Ray didn't go, Glen Frink was here just then and they were arguing about a baseball glove of Ray's.  After dinner all the folks went up to Uncle Max.  Ralph, Ervin, Pat and Edwin came up about 3:00.  Florence and Edwin left about 4:00 with Hans.  The boys didn't go until about 5 o'clock.  We went to the show here.  It was Norma Shearer in "Strangers May Kiss".  We were all too sleepy to enjoy it.

Missing church because of a discussion about a baseball glove?  I don't imagine too many kids think to try that one. 

Below is the plot from the movie.

Lisbeth (Norma Shearer) is a modern woman who thinks that marriage is old fashioned. She has two men in her life; Steve (Robert Montgomery), who wants to marry her and Alan (Neil Hamilton), who wants her to travel with him. Despite all the warnings by her friends and family, Lisbeth goes to Mexico with Alan where she is happy until she finds out that he has a wife in Paris and that he is leaving for his next job without her. Devastated, she spends a few years in Europe being the life of the party. While her reputation is well known, her life of gaiety has not made her happy.

I looked up Neil Hamilton and learned that he was Commissioner Gordon on the old Batman series.  And of course, Robert Montgomery was Samantha Stevens' (well, okay Elizabeth Montgomery's) father.

No comments:

Post a Comment