Monday, December 16, 2013

And there it is . . .


August 20, 1931 - Ironed and straightened up the house this morning.  Mother left about 11 o'clock to work at Roxie's today.  F.S., Esther M., Lilly and Sophia came up after me about 2 o'clock.  We had a good time this afternoon.  Had supper at about 5:30.  The free act was pretty good.  The dance was punk.  The music couldn't be heard half the time.  R.K. and I had a quarrel about his being drunk and now the tan Ford won't be honking at my door anymore.  Ervin, Claus and Edna R. were here for the dance.  Ervin took me home.  3 o'clock when I got to bed.
August 21, 1931 - Mother went over to take care of Grandma Oman.  She'll be there three days. I slept all morning.  Willie B. stayed with Ray last nite and Ray took him home this morning.  Ola and Annie came about 1:30 and we went to Norfolk.  Grussmother went along.  On our way home we stopped and looked at my school.  I think I'll like it very much.
August 22, 1931 - I am still tired so I didn't do much work today.  I slept most of the afternoon.  After I'd gone to bed this evening Florence and Edwin came.  I dressed and went with them.  We went to the barn dance at Drager's east of Norfolk.  I had a punk time.  It doesn't set well with me to have to be a third party.

We had been wondering how Grandpa figured in to things with Grandma seemingly pretty tight with Ralph.  Now we know.  And look at that face . . . seriously, what woman could resist that?

Anyone know who Grandma Oman is?

Mom commented that her first school was also District 86.  Whereabouts was that school?

Too bad that Florence and Edwin made a point to come after Grandma to take her to have some fun and it didn't work very well.  Nice of them to try.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Daddy was a good looking dude!
    District 86 was straight west of Winside and them a few miles south. I can't remember how many miles it was..

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandmother's name was Roxie - Roxie Francis. My grandparents had a cafe in town next to the post office in the early 1930's. Could my grandmother be the Roxie your grandmother referred to?

    ReplyDelete