Friday, December 13, 2013

Off visiting

 

August 14, 1931 - Mother finished her dress today.  We cleaned up the house and got our clothes lined up.  Mother and I each got a marcel tonite at Anna Boyd's.
August 15, 1931 - We got up at 5 o'clock and left Winside at 7 o'clock.  We were in Fremont at 11:00 a.m. and saw Uncle Hans' on their way home.  We got to Mildred's at 12 o'clock and had dinner.  We went to Kennard this afternoon and saw Aunt Sophia.  Tonite to the Silver Wedding dance at Washington.  I went with Mildred and Henry Krueger.  Had a real good time.  Francis Neilsen has been down here a week and is going home with us Monday.  We're staying at Andrew's tonite.
August 16, 1931 - We had dinner at Carrie and Pete Olson's.  Walter came over and we went to Blair to see the swimming pool and bridge.  I drove and Ray, Raymond, Mildred and Edna Olson went along, too.  We had lunch and supper at Alvina's.  Tonite Ray and I went with Howard and Walter to a dance at the German Hall.  We had a real good time.  Ervin Ruschman was there.  He cracked 3 ribs today when he was playing ball.  We're staying at Alvina's and Adolph's tonite.  We visited with Aunt Carrie and Uncle Nels before supper.

I am guessing the photo is of the Alvina Grandma is talking about.  She would be Maren Pedersen Andreasen's niece or first cousin to William Andersen.  Cute little doggie she has there.

My quick internet search revealed that a Marcel hairstyle looks a lot like fingerwaving, but maybe there is a nuance I am missing.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it is a Marcel if you go to the beauty shop and a finger wave if you do it yourself or have a friend do it.
    Anna Boyd's was the only beauty shop in Winside when I was in high school. One time I decided I wanted bangs and tried to do it myself. Had to go see her to get the mess fixed. I distinctly remember her saying to me, "Don't you ever do this again!" And you know what - to this day I have never taken a scissors to my own hair.

    ReplyDelete