Saturday, December 7, 2013

Oh, Happy (and hot) Day!

 

July 27, 1931 - We got up early and were out to Ola's by 6:00 o'clock this morning. Ray helped John Gotch today.  We used Ola's car and went to Wayne this morning to see Miss Sewell about District 86.  Didn't get home until about 4 P.M.  We went to see Aunt Mildred and Aunt Mary.  We were at Annie's awhile this evening.  I called up Mr. Schellenberg and asked him if he'd go with me to see the board members of District 86.
July 28, 1931 - It was awfully hot last nite.  I slept outside until 12:30 and spent the rest of the nite on the lounge.  We washed this morning.  This afternoon I went with Mr. Schellenberg and he took me to see Mr. Walker.  He isn't sure if he'll take the directorship or not.  Strate and Janson weren't home.  We had supper out to the farm.  Back in town at 7:00.
July 29, 1931 - Ray and I slept outside last nite until 5 o'clock this morning.  Grussfather stayed out until 5:30.  I worked on my quilt this afternoon.  I got a card from Mr. Walker this afternoon saying I could have the school if I would teach for $70 a month.  I'm so glad!!!  Schellenberg's took us out there this evening and then I didn't get my contract because I forgot to bring my certificate along.

I think three exclamation points are appropriate for a first teaching job!  Way to go, Grandma!!  And for $70 a month to boot!

Sleeping outside to escape the heat -- I have no idea how fortunate I am to have grown up mostly with central air conditioning.  There was a photo a while back in the Lincoln paper about a heat wave sometime in the city's history; it might well have been during the 30's, if I recall.  The photo was of loads and loads of people sleeping on the grass all around the State Capitol Building. 

I took a chance that I could find the photo.  I do not know if this is the one since it doesn't show as many people as I am remembering.  It is, however, a photo from the hottest day ever recorded in Lincoln; 115 degrees during the day and a low of 91 degrees that night in 1936.  Crazy.


1 comment:

  1. I think it is rather interesting that District 86 is where I started teaching in the fall of 1955.

    ReplyDelete