Saturday, December 28, 2013

Mission Festival?

 

September 4, 1931 - Drawing period this afternoon was terrible.  Mother and Ray came after me tonite.  I went to choir practice tonite.  Florence was there and we had a lot of fun.  Donald Podoll and Roger Bartlett are singing in the choir now!
September 5, 1931 - I washed and ironed my clothes this morning.  I washed my hair, too and it looks terrible.  Florence, Edwin, Ray and I went to a barn dance at Widdlemon's tonite.  We had a pretty good time.  Florence and I were lost in directions.  Edwin said his folks were going to Rochester this next week.
September 6, 1931 - Mission Festival today.  I went to church this morning and afternoon.  It was awfully warm, especially this afternoon.  Mother and Ray brought me back tonite.  I got here just in time to go to church with the kids.  We had ice cream when we got back.  Mildred came home from the hospital last nite and is walking around as spry as a chicken.

Can anyone enlighten me on what a Mission Festival was/is?  Seems it was an all-day affair.  The first thing that leapt to my mind was a revival, but I don't think we Lutherans do much revivalizing.

Was Grandma kinda sweet on either Donald or Roger, or did two new choir members warrant and exclamation point?  From my days in the choir at church, extra voices would have gotten my vote.

I hope Dale doesn't see this since he is not keen on the architectural style of the addition to the church.  I did not have a photo at the ready of the church before the addition, though.

1 comment:

  1. I remember a "Mission Fest" at church - pretty sure it's the same as the Mission Festival. The Mission Fest was not an all day event, but I remember a pot luckl after church services and then maybe an afternoon service also. There was a special offering taken for supporting missionaries.

    ReplyDelete