Thursday, December 5, 2013

The blues and bluing

 

July 21, 1931 - I went to Wayne on the morning train to see if I could find a place to work for my room and board.  I was at Aunt Mildred's for dinner and down to Aunt Mary's a little while after dinner.  I walked 40 blocks or more this afternoon trying to find a place and didn't have any luck.  I stayed at Aunt Mary's tonite.  And do I feel blue!
July 22, 1931 - I didn't have any luck this morning.  I saw Aunt Mildred down town this morning.  I went home on the noon train.  Ray went to Wayne today and got a Sedan body for his Ford.  I finished one of Annabelle's dresses this afternoon and Mom and Ray took it out to her this evening.  Ray made some root beer yesterday.
July 23, 1931 - I finished Annabelle's other dress today.  I did a big washing by hand this morning.  A bunch of my dresses, some of Ray's shirts, 2 of Grussmother's aprons, 2 of Mom's dresses and some silk underwear.  Mother went down town this afternoon and I got the pictures that we took the Sunday Mildred Andersen was here.

I am pretty sure I would be blue after all that effort, too.  I wonder if the exertion of what it used to take to do laundry helped get any frustrations out.  I still remember the big tubs on the back porch, the wringer washer and especially the bluing!  I thought it was magic.  I seem to remember a bottle with a cork in it, not like the photo.  That made it more magical.  I was somewhat afraid of the washer; thought those rollers would take my arm off if I got too close.

2 comments:

  1. I also remember the bluing and it did have a cork topper as I recall. I also remember putting the pillow cases in open end first so that it would puff up and squirt water when it got to the closed end. This however was frowned upon by Mom and Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised that you remember the bluing Mary.
    One time Mom gave Nancy and me some bluing she said had spoiled. Kind of wonder about that. Anyway we used it in our mudpies. Thought it was just wonderful. I suppose the bluing was our vanilla.

    ReplyDelete