Friday, February 1, 2013

Bye, for now, to Uncle Raymond


"November 3, 2001:  Nancy came in a.m. and helped rearrange articles on top shelves.  She left at noon to meet Jeff and Tom to go to the Nebraska football game in Lawrence, Kansas.  Maryan C. came to visit in p.m.  I watched movies in evening.  Saw Bette Davis in "Dark Victory" and then "My Fair Lady".  Got to bed at 3:00 a.m.
November 4, 2001:  Talked to Greta in a.m.  Jeff, Tom and Merilyn here in evening.  Tom brought some good Mexican food.  Tom and Merilyn showed me how to use the oven on my new electric stove.
November 5, 2001:  Nancy here in evening."

Funny, I had completely forgotten about the hours Grandma kept once she moved to Lincoln.  It was not unusual to hear her say she had stayed up well past midnight.  I am thinking it was almost always to watch movies.

I can't complete this post without mentioning dear Uncle Raymond who passed away this week.  If he was ever grumpy, I never saw it.  Word is, he was a favorite at the retirement home he lived at and until very recently was enjoying company and playing cards and going to BINGO.  He was 99 years old, a combat veteran of WWII, and a husband who had the sad task of burying two wives.  I suppose both Aunt Ramona and Aunt Marina can fuss over him now.  And I imagine all the fine folks in this photo, plus their other siblings and spouses, are having a rootin' tootin' good time together.  I must say Aunt Irene's expression is illustrating my point the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment