Monday, February 4, 2013

Assisted living


"November 6, 2001:  Mary took me to the hair dresser.  Evena Stemm brought me two red roses.
November 7, 2001:  Nancy took me to the doctor -- Shawn Semin.  He seems real nice -- we shopped -- then played some Rummicube.  I went to Book Club at 6:45 and Nancy did my washing.
November 8, 2001:  Maintenance man worked on radiators.  I saw "Brigadoon" and "Kismet" in evening.  A lot of music."

I haven't read ahead to see if Grandma ever wrote it down, but she was fond of saying that she stayed in an assisted living place -- Nancy assisted with groceries, Tom assisted with laundry, I assisted with hair dresser visits, etc. etc.  She got a chuckle out of telling people that.

Grandma also was conflicted about the beauty college we went to for her hair appointments.  We would go over my lunch.  I would pick her up and take her there and wait for her to finish.  Due to whatever their scheduling restraints were, it would take f..o..r..e..v..e..r.  I was not getting in to trouble at work and could take some short lunches to make up for the lost time, and I told her so, but Grandma did not like that at all.  So, she worked out a solution a ways down the road.  She took the HandiVan to her appointment and then just had the desk call me when she was finished.  We then had time for me to pick her up and have lunch together.  It was a good solution, and she felt much better about the whole situation.  Plus, we had some good lunches and good visits.  Because of that tradition, I have arm-twisted Mom into hosting me and anyone else that shows up on Fridays for lunch.  Pretty clever, eh?

I am still thinking about Uncle Raymond, so here is a photo of him being silly.  I will be honest -- it took me comparing two photos of two different men in buttoned-down shirts to figure out which was Grandpa and which was Uncle Raymond when they both had that goofy mask on.  But I got it right.

1 comment: