Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Heard a good joke lately, anyone?


"January 8, 2002:  Nancy called in the evening.  Allen Anderson -- her boss -- had died in the morning.
January 9, 2002:  Mary came at noon.  She ate her lunch while I showered.  Went to Book Club in evening.  Brought a book back to read.
January 10, 2002:  Mary and kids took me to get a permanent at 6:00 p.m.  That was a real rip-off.  A gift certificate from Nancy for $20 paid for the haircut and I had to pay an additional $55.00!!!"

Not to downplay Grandma's troubles with her permanent, but I must make mention of Allen.  Since Rick and I were a one-car household for awhile, and because Nancy and I worked in the same building downtown, Nancy picked me up each morning and was my ride to and from work.  Since she has a better work ethic than myself, I would leave work promptly at 5:00 and take the stairs to the 9th floor.  Inevitably, Nancy would be finishing up this or that and so I often got a chance to yak at Allen.  What a super nice guy who would frequently have a joke to tell.  And if no joke was available, there was usually something funny that had happened on the job recently, or he had a tale to tell of one kind or another.  A shame he died as young as he did.

I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible Mom and Nancy were sharing a joke here in 1981.  What I find not so amusing is that I am considerably older right now than they are in the photo.  I have no idea why that is disturbing to me . . .  Oh, and look . . . Nancy is smoking.  Looks strange to see her doing that.

2 comments:

  1. We must really like each other. See how close we are sitting and there is plenty of room on the couch. Love this picture. Oh and yes, we really do like each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure why we were sitting so close together. But I am sure we weren't the ones drinking the beer.

    ReplyDelete