Thursday, February 21, 2013

Christmas 2001


"December 21, 2001:  Took my walk today.  Made cereal snacks.
December 22, 2001:  Baked three pies for tomorrow.  A bleak day -- Howard died on a Saturday a year ago.
December 23, 2001:  Nancy and I to Wahoo.  Left early enough to go to church.  The service was all singing by the choir.  Jayson sings in the choir.  After the service to Jayson and Lora's for dinner.  Everyone there except Lester, Tom and Merilyn."

I am wondering if this is the first year we did the auction/exchange instead of drawing names.  It seems to me the first time we did that was at Jayson and Lora's -- two houses ago.  I do know we were much more reserved and polite about stealing gifts that first time, namely Grandma's throw and Patty's tabletop waterfall.  But even discounting those gifts, we were super polite.  It took us a few years to get cut-throat like we are now.  Most likely due to our fine Scandinavian Lutheran upbringing.

Up top is another 1954 photo.  I think it shows how extremely fond Nancy always was of her little brother.  What I can't get over, though, is how teeny her purse is.  That would never fly today.  As per Nancy's comment from yesterday's post, Tom is wearing a favorite shirt -- again.  It looks likes Nancy's sleeves are different, so either she rolled them up and down or Tom wore the same shirt on two different days.  I put it here below for easier comparison in case someone wants to weigh in and disagree or agree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment