Sunday, February 17, 2013

Always a teacher


"December 9, 2001:  Greta called in the morning.  I watched 'Anne of Green Gables' a sequel, all afternoon.
December 10, 2001:  Tom stopped in evening to get his keys.
December 11, 2001:  Bill came for me about 11:00.  Went to Wahoo -- had dinner.  Jenny washed my hair.  Went to Alicia's school at 3:00 and told the pupils about one-room schools.  In the evening went to school program that Alicia was in.  Bill and Jayson brought me back to Lincoln.  Had a wonderful time."

Of course Grandma had a wonderful time -- family, kids and getting a chance to teach.  I don't remember Grandma ever going on and on about how much she did or didn't like to teach, but I always thought she was good at it and she sure was fond of her students.  Alicia would have been in kindergarten or first grade and that's a fun age where kids are engaged and wanting to listen, so I am thinking the talk about one-room schoolhouses was great fun.

Since we have Bill and Jenny and Jayson in this particular post, I thought it only fair to get Jayme in there, too, so here he is in a photo.  Sure wish he would have cheered up a bit for the occasion.

2 comments:

  1. I think Mom had to like teaching to be as good at it as she was. And it seems her students liked her, too. Maybe not at the time they were in school. But they appreciated her when they got out in the world. Former students have told me that they learned a lot in her classes. I think they learned more than just the subject, but also how to be responsible and good citizens. It was always fun to go to the Alumni Banquet with her. After the meal it was a joy to see how many former students came over to talk to her. And the really interesting thing was that there were more guys coming to speak to her than gals.
    I guess I am a little prejudiced but I think she was a great teacher not only in the classroom but also by the way she lived her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As evidenced by the former students that came over and comments they made, I wouldn't say you were prejudiced at all but rather right on the mark. But, I just might be prejudiced, too, so I am not sure where that leaves us . . .

    ReplyDelete