Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Snail Tracks??


"December 15, 2001:  Made cereal snacks and stirred up four kinds of cookies.  Mitch and Anna came about 5:30 -- had supper and stayed all night.
December 16, 2001:  Talked to Greta in the morning.  Mary came about 9:30.  She made almond bark cookies.  Then dinner and then she baked the cookies for me.
December 17, 2001:  Still nice weather -- no measurable rain or snow since I've been here.  I took a walk outside around the building.  When weather permits I'm going to try it every day.  I talked to Dorothy Jo and Marie Parker.  Received a pink angel from Henrietta Jensen."

Does Grandma mean snail tracks when she says cereal snacks?  Who would have thought that a fairly easy and straightforward recipe would be such a big hit with the family?  Quite frankly, I've forgotten how they came to be called snail tracks.  Also, didn't Aunt Helen have a funny name for a food -- the box was upside down and actually made a word or two and she went with the upside-down words?  Maybe "doo dads" became "spap oops"?  I think I'm close on that.

No connection between the photo and Grandma's journal entry -- I am just using a photo I don't have a chance to use very often.  Not even sure if I've posted it before since I have been very poor about listing which ones I have and haven't used.  But no harm either way, so on I go.

8 comments:

  1. Marie Parker, that rings a bell, Cliff and Marie from Potter, NE, out west. ?? My parents and I went out there once, Courthouse Rock, Chimney Rock, nice family, wheat farmers.
    Greta???
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it right. Had no idea your folks knew them. Neat people.

      Delete
    2. Maybe I should elaborate a bit. Marie Parker was Mom's cousin. She was a Brogren.

      Delete
    3. So the connection may have been Cliff, with my parents??

      Delete
    4. You may be right. Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I remember there was a connection with Cliff. Maybe they had been neighbors? According to the Brogren family history they farmed in Wayne County for a number of years before moving out west.

      Delete
  2. I think "snail tracks" came about when Mom or maybe Nancy was trying to say "trail snacks."

    ReplyDelete