Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Meeting and mingling


"November 12, 2001:  I talked to Maryan C. about the two calls concerning noise from hammering.  A lady came and installed the Life Line instrument.  Late in p.m., Maryan came and told me who made the calls and not to worry about it.  'Go ahead and finish your hanging pictures, etc.'
November 13, 2001:  Mary took me at noon to have my hair-do.  Bill came to visit Saturday p.m.  He was in Lincoln to apply for Social Security.  Nancy came for supper -- then my shower and then Rummicube.
November 14, 2001:  Went to Book Club meeting in evening.  Brought home a book in large print 'Washington Wives'.  After the meeting stopped at Zoya Z.'s place.  She's very nice and friendly."

I was so glad when Grandma started reading books again.  I don't know if she was squeamish about requesting large print, but I am glad she did it.  I also do not know if she had trouble reading it with her eyes the way they were.  Of course, I was really happy when she was able to get different lenses for her glasses and was back to reading print as small as that in the newspaper.

All this also brings to mind how great it was that Grandma was just an elevator ride and a short walk away from new friends and that she was so tickled to go on out there and make new friends; going to the book club, playing cards with the usual group, and getting grief for winning the football pool so much.  I loved it.

And here's a photo before Grandma thought about large print books, or even glasses for that matter.  I think she looks lovely.



5 comments:

  1. She does look GREAT and I wish I had that necklace now. This is one of my favorite pictures of Mom. Was this her graduation picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is her graduation picture.

      Delete
    2. I was thinking the same thing about that necklace. Looks to be a pin there, too, or maybe that's a fancy button.

      Delete
  2. I'm also glad the issue of the cranky neighbors got settled. I don't think Mom ever mentioned this to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she didn't mention it since it got resolved fairly quickly, thanks to Maryan. What a silly thing to get all charged up about -- it's not like there wasn't an end in sight, she didn't have a workshop up there or anything like that.

      Delete