Thursday, February 28, 2013

All is well


"January 11, 2002:  Called Marie Parker.  The 9th was her 97th birthday.
January 12, 2002:  Mitch and Anna here in evening -- watched cartoons on TV.
January 13, 2002:  Called Greta in a.m.  Nancy came for dinner.  I took a shower.
January 14, 2002:  Bill here in p.m.  We played Rummikub.  Jenny and Patty went shopping after Patty went to the dentist."

I should have started a label for Rummikub.  It sure gets mentioned frequently on here.

As some will already know and recall, there was (probably still is) a perk at The Pioneer House for those wishing to participate.  Folks were given a little cardboard tag on a string.  The idea was that they would put it outside their door hanging on the doorknob once they were up in the morning every day.  Someone volunteered to go around and check for tags at some point in the day.  This was a way to be sure the occupant was okay and did not need help or medical attention.  I believe the occupant was to move the tag back in at some point and that was likely checked too, otherwise the tag would be there morning after morning and not accomplish its purpose. 

When we were clearing out Grandma's unit after she died, I took the tag without really having a concrete reason for doing so.  Well, now it has become my "everything is okay" talisman.  Not that things are awful and I need the assurance; it's just a nice thought that includes Grandma with it.

I noticed some time ago that the tag was missing.  I knew it wasn't stolen and that a tornado hadn't blown through, so it would turn up in time.  And yesterday it did.  It fell down behind my desktop at work and was on the floor behind a box.  But, now it is back where it belongs as my little all-is-well reminder.  Photographic evidence above.

2 comments: