Monday, September 30, 2013

Carefree


March 17, 1931 - Aunt Mildred is still gone.  Sewed her curtains this afternoon.  Mrs. Smith had them out and basted.  Jane was down here a while.  Aunt Mildred was home a few minutes.  She brought some cream.  After supper I churned.  Mrs. Smith and I played Cribbage and 66.  Wrote to Mayme, Florence F., Florence S., Martha and Aunt Nan.  Went to bed about 2 o'clock.  This evening all the dance programs were of an Irish nature.  Mom went to S.C. with Uncle Max and Aunt Emma.  She bought me a smock.  It's black trimmed with red and white.
March 18, 1931 - Miriam Bracken played the piano in chapel this morning.  Walked home with Helen Hanson.  She took the car.  We drove down through town and she also showed me where some of the teachers live.  Wrote a crazy letter to Loretta tonite.  Aunt Mildred washed the woodwork in the bathroom and breakfast nook.
March 19, 1931 - Why is it that Thursday seems to be such a dull day at school?  I guess it's because the next day's Friday and that means going home!

Wow.  Grandma stayed up until 2 a.m. during the school week and she wasn't even studying!  What a concept.  I am glad to know she wasn't always a grown-up, but a carefree girl for a time.

And here's a photo of her (on the left) when she was truly a carefree girl.  I love, love, love the look on her little face.  Uncle Ray is on the left and even though Mom has told me who is in the middle, I forget. 

3 comments:

  1. And now I don't remember who it is. Guess somebody should have written on the back of the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I'm thinking it might be, which one I'm not sure. I don't remember how their ages matched up with Mom and Uncle Ray.

      Delete