Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ain't?!?


February 6, 1931 - Martha called up.  She wanted to know if I wanted to go home with them, but of course I couldn't.  Played 500 and Double Solitaire with Mrs. Smith this evening.  Uncle Chris went to Emerson to get Aunt Mildred.  I was in bed and sound asleep when R.K. came and wanted me to go down here to the dance.  Albin played.  I got up, dressed and went.  Didn't have a very good time 'cause there was no one there I knew.  Say I am mad at C.R. tonite, and don't you think I ain't!
February 7, 1931 - Aunt Mildred is home.  She brought me this diary from Sioux City.  She got herself a new dress.  Helped clean up the house this morning and went downtown this afternoon.  Wanted to get a new dress, but I couldn't find any I liked. Wrote in my diary this evening and am having a terrible time to recall the eventful happenings since New Year's Eve in Norfolk.
February 8, 1931 - Slept late this morning.  Had a terrible time with the stove.  Kept pumping the stove at the last to get the gravy done.  Aunt Midge and Uncle Chris left this morning at 5:00 for Seward.  Ralph came about 4:30, went to Norfolk and saw "Half-Shot at Sunrise", also vaudeville.  Saw Helen H. and Matt Holt with some more kids in Norfolk.  They were going to have a "wiener roast."  Stopped in at Hoskins for the free dance.  And did I have a good time!!!!  C.R. was just about "done for."  Shorty E. asked me for a date for 2 weeks from last Friday.  I said I'd go with him.

I wonder if Grandma used the word "ain't" to especially make a point, or if she wasn't born the grammatically-correct person I always knew her to be.  The rest of her grammar in her diary is pretty good (as far as my expertise takes me), so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was for effect.

I am a bit surprised that she says she is having trouble remembering events since New Year's Eve.  I don't know what all went on that she may have missed, but she certainly has included quite a bit.  I have trouble remembering what I did two days ago, let alone a whole month back.  But, my brain is 50+ years full, and Grandma's wasn't yet.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

She doesn't mention them by name, but our favorite comedy duo was back for the movie, as you can see from the poster above.  I will have to go to youtube and see if there are any clips of these two available.  This poster is a bit less scary than the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment