Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Mystery date


February 18, 1931 - New places in chapel this morning.  Glen Wingett was here for dinner today.  Aunt Mildred and I went home with him and cleaned up the house, so it would be clean when Arlowyne came home.  She came while we were there.  Stayed and had supper and came home about 8 o'clock.  We played Pitch and Hearts.  There was a telephone call for me early this evening.  Mrs. Smith asked them two or three times who it was, but they wouldn't tell her.  Wonder who it was.  I know it wasn't R.K. so I should worry!
February 19, 1931 - Called up Momma today and told her I was coming home with Francis tomorrow afternoon.  Ray was up for the basketball tournament.  Winside lost their game this afternoon.  Ray stopped in here and said, "Hello."  He was in a hurry and didn't stay long, as usual!
February 20, 1931 - Call this noon for me.  Asked if I was going home and why I wasn't going to the dance tonite at Wayne!!!!!  Francis came after me about 4:45.  Went to her home with her and to the dance at Hoskins tonite.  We got there about 9:00.  The American Legion had a benefit dance.  I had a real good time.  Herman and Arnold Eckert were there!  Danced twice with Herman.  R.K. wasn't there.  I couldn't find out if he had gone to Grand Island or not.  Martha had on her new flowered dress. Went home with Ray.  Told him all about last Saturday nite.

Glen?  Arlowyne?  Does anyone know who these people are?  Gotta like a name like Arlowyne, if I am reading Grandma's handwriting correctly.  If not, I invented a new name that I like.

The suspense is still in the air; Grandma knew who called on the 18th and called again on the 20th but she doesn't say who she went to the dance with.  We know it wasn't Ralph, but that's the only clue I am finding.  Maybe time will tell.

I think the photo is pre-1931 but it is of Grandma (middle) when she was young, so it works here.

2 comments:

  1. Arlowyne Wingett was my great aunt, if that helps at all. She rode horses all her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your great aunt quite well. She and her horse were in our Old Settlers' parade every year, I think. I remember hearing she was in many parades in the area. I do not recall Grandma mentioning a connection or friendship with Arlowyne, though or that she had a Winside connection. For some reason I thought Arlowyne was from Nebraska, but not from the Winside area specifically. Of course, she might have moved after 1931. :-) I'm glad you found this post and left a comment!

    ReplyDelete