Friday, September 13, 2013

Not good news


February 9, 1931 - The folks didn't get back until 4:30 this morning.  They had been to Lincoln to a dance.  Aunt Mildred drove part of the way coming and going.  They said they had a real good time.  I talked to Francis Johnson and she advised me to ditch my date with Shorty.  She said he had a hard time getting dates.  I'm going to follow her advice.  And after thinking it over, R.K. might get mad and I don't want anything like that to happen.
February 10, 1931 - Uncle Chris said today Aunt Mildred couldn't go to Albion.  So I guess I'll get to go home this weekend.  Uncle Chris worked tonite but he took Jane, Aunt Midge and me down to the dance.  Jop Allen's played.  I don't think they're so wonderful.  Carl B. took Jane home and Norman yours truly.  I thought R.K. and C.R. would be there.  When I realized they weren't coming, it just spoiled the rest of the evening.  I'd lots rather had those kids there and gone home with Aunt Mildred and Uncle Chris than the way it did turn out.
February 11, 1931 - Nothing much at chapel.  I was kind of sleepy today. Aunt Mildred isn't going to Albion today.  I wrote letters to Carrie Hansen, Florence Schellenberg, Loretta H., Sylvia Eckert, Walter Nelsen, and Mayme Hall tonight.  Grandma Petersen has a cancer in her throat.  It's only a matter of time until it will get the best of her.  She faces it like a true soldier.  Poor grandma, for all her faults, she has a heart of gold!

Grandma had a few not-so-good days there, from cancelling a date to the right boys not showing up at a dance and then a cancer diagnosis in the family.

What is the deal with Aunt Mildred and Albion, does anyone know?  Also, do we know who Shorty is/was?

The photo is of Ola and Dorothea, aka Grussfather and Grussmother, with Grandma Anna standing on the left, and one of her sisters on the right.  I am afraid I am not sure which sister, so someone in the know will have to help me out here.  I will have to try to scan the larger photo of Grussmother when she has a hint of a smile; it gives her a much softer look.

3 comments:

  1. Don't know anything about Aunt Mildred and Albion or who "Shorty" was. However, the sister in the picture would be Emma. Grandma Anna's sister Meta died in 1930.
    I can't get over how much dancing these people did and the fact that they drove to Lincoln for a dance! I never went that far to a dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote letters to Carrie Hansen, this is my Aunt Sis, a nurse in Norfolk, married Andy Risser, who started the Norfolk airport.
    Jim H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's neat. I wonder how many other entries will have some family connections. This is fun!

    ReplyDelete