Monday, September 9, 2013

I'm a sap, I guess


January 28, 1931 - Still having a heck of a time with the Arithmetic and Grammar classes.  Went to the pavilion to the dance with the family.  R.K., Irvin Rushman, and Chris B. with some more boys from Winside were there.  I had a keen time.  Hunt's Serenaders played.  They were real good.
January 29, 1931 - Aunt Mildred and I went to Social Dancing.  C. Bark was coming to see Helen, so of course she didn't go.  They went to the show.  Aunt Mildred and I didn't feel like staying at home so we walked down and saw it, too.  It was "Only Saps Work" and was it funny!  We walked back up the hill and played 500 till about 12:15.  I didn't hear Helen come to bed.
January 30, 1931 - Helen went home today (amid a rainstorm!).  Francis J. went home with me.  Annie and Ola took us home.  Went to the dance with R.K.  His folks went to South Dakota this morning and took his car.  So he had the Chevrolet.  And does it rattle!  Irvin took Lucille, and Eleanor and Francis were with us.  I had a real good time.  It was crowded, dusty and smoky -- but nobody went home on account of that.  (Mr. Hall gave me a real good recommendation.)

Okay, I will admit I find it a bit humorous that Grandma had trouble in her Grammar class.  Obviously, things clicked for her somewhere along the line.

I couldn't find a poster for "Only Saps Work", but I did find a synopsis on IMDB.com:  "Con-man Leon Errol is an expert at getting away with robbery, pick-pocketing and identity theft, and here he does it with style, involving college kid Richard Arlen in his schemes while Arlen is on his way to work as a pantry boy in a high society fat farm. There, he meets pretty Mary Brian, the daughter of wealthy Charley Grapewin. Unaware that he was driving the getaway car for Errol's bank heist, Arlen goes about his business until the less than smart detectives show up. Errol is hysterically funny as the crook, especially in a sequence where he makes the scariest batch of waffles you've ever seen, utilizing practically every ingredient at hand. Errol utilizes his rubber-legged dancing skills as if he was still on Broadway. A couple of rhyme patterned conversations come into play in the screenplay giving the film a musical feel to it."  Sounds plenty funny to me; the waffle part sounds interesting.

I think the photo is from confirmation -- I will be going through my black and white photo inventory for a while here.

No comments:

Post a Comment