Saturday, September 21, 2013

Arlowyne Wingett


February 27, 1931 - Ray and Momma came to Wayne after me this afternoon.  After I got home I talked to Loretta.  Went down to Florence's.  She's had a bad cold and missed school today.  Went to a Box Social at District 55 tonite with Ralph and Ray.  The program was fairly good.  There are about 25 pupils in the school.  Mayme and her cousin Margaret somebody, and Louise were there.  Others too that I knew.  Boys were awfully slow in bidding and boxes sold rather cheap.
February 28, 1931 - Annie and family were in this morning.  Ole helped Ray over at the house.  Momma, Annie and I played a few hands of Pinochle.  They stayed for dinner (bean soup).  Ray and I went out to Alice's after dinner.  She finger-waved my hair.  I looked at her quilt patterns.  She must have around 600 different patterns.  We had supper and after supper Ray and Alice played against Raymond and I.  We played Pinochle, Rummy and Raymond and I won.  Got home about 9:15.  R.K. had called up, but alas! I wasn't home.  Wonder where he wanted to go?
March 1, 1931 - Washed out some of my clothes today.  Mom, Ray and I played Pinochle and 500 this afternoon.  R.K. called up.  He had to work tonite but we're going to the dance Tuesday nite.  Ray and Momma took me back to Wayne.  We had supper at Charlie Riese's.  Aunt Mildred and Uncle Chris's went up to Glen & Arlowyne Wingett's today.

I asked Mom who Arlowyne Wingett was since it was such an unusual name and someone I assumed I was not related to, having not heard that name before.  Turns out I had heard it, but didn't remember.  She was a horsewoman and rode in the Old Settlers' parade in Winside probably every year.  We are pretty sure she rode in parades all over the state as well.  She always looked very grand on her horse -- she wore some snazzy outfits and always a hat, as I recall -- and appeared to have a great time.  I found in a quick internet search that she died in 1994 at age 87.  I wouldn't be surprised if she was still riding a horse up to the end.  The photo isn't of Arlowyne, but I thought a horsewoman and horse picture was in order.

So Grandma was thinking quilts before she was 20.  I wonder if she ended up with over 600 patterns.  I am betting Mom is way past that already.  Twenty books of 30 patterns each would do it.

6 comments:

  1. I remember Mrs. Wingett. Her husband Glenn flew a Piper Cub airplane, as I recall. Lived in Chapin Precinct. Precinct was named for "Tottie" Chapin McCain's ancestors. Her name was Virginia??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know of the naming of the precinct and cannot verify the first name of Virginia. I do remember her, though. She lived next to the Princes when Lorraine was my babysitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An ec·cen·tric lady, (had to look this up, sorry Mrs I),
    Somewhere along the line, Tottie decided her parents
    needed matching caskets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so Tottie had Willard Wiltse, Wayne Undertaker, and Teddy Hoeman, backup guy in Winside dig, them up. Mama's red hair was still there, Papa was bones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoops, Teddy was the backhoe guy. Nice Person.

    ReplyDelete