Monday, September 2, 2013

Rewind to 1931


January 1, 1931 - Was to a New Year's Eve dance at Norfolk last night.  Ray, Martha, Hans, Edwin, Florence, Ralph and I.  Had a real good time.  School was dull today.  Aunt Mildred had a New Year's Party tonite.  The guests were:  Ana and Craig Curley, Emil Hanson, Lucille Pritchard, Murray Johnson, Carl Bask, Helen Kitmer and myself.
January 2, 1931 - Went home today.
January 3, 1931 - Annie's birthday.  Today is Emelia and Art's sale.  Momma helped out there all day.  Alice Kahler and Mrs. Frink had dinner with Grandma and I.  I washed my hair and Alice fingerwaved it. We walked out to Emelia's.  Had supper there.  Martha came home with me and stayed all night.

As promised, we have left 2002 behind for the time being.  I don't think Grandma would argue that it was a bit predictable after awhile.  And that's fine.  I wouldn't expect her at 90 years old to be going out to dances and having sleep-overs.

I will undoubtedly get some names/spellings wrong as I go along here, but that's the way it goes with reading someone else's handwriting.  Just bear with me.

I didn't know Grandma ever called Grandma Anna anything other than "Mom".  But, she was not quite 19 years old here.  The grandma she had dinner with was Dorothea, who would have been in her late 70's here.  Grandma Anna was 45 on this date.  Ola was alive; I wonder what he was up to.  Someone has to help me here -- who was Aunt Mildred?  I guess the more important question is why did Grandma have to go to school on New Year's Day??

I am guessing Grandma's hair in the photo has been fingerwaved.  There's no date on the photo, but I bet it's close to 1931.  I am thinking maybe it was her senior photo, but I am not sure.

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Mildred was Uncle Chris Andersen's wife. He was married several times - at least three. I don't know the order of the wives except that Aunt Ethel was the last. Think one was named Ruth. I think Mom stayed with them (Chris and Mildred) while she was going to college in Wayne.

    ReplyDelete