Saturday, September 14, 2013

A nightmare, indeed


February 12, 1931 - Had a test in Algebra and Rural Sociology today.  R.K. called up tonite and I'm going to get to go to the party dance at Norfolk tomorrow nite.  Hip! Hip! Hooray!  Talked to Chris, too!  Told him I was going to a dinner party tonite.  He asked me to think about him.  I did at three different times.  We had a real good time.  Guests were Opal and Dorothy Beckendaur, Lila and Florence Jeffrey, Barbara Careive, Mrs. Doris Jones, Aunt Midge and I.  For dinner shoestring potatoes, gravy, steak, peas, celery, olives, hot rolls, jam, tomatoes with rice, coffee, angel-food cake, ground peanut brittle in whipped cream.  Played Hearts.  Doris Jones booby, Barbara 1st prize.  D. Beckendaur played piano, rest sang.
February 13, 1931 - Momma and Ray came after me tonite, we had lunch here.  Uncle Soren has been here to see Grandma, but he left for Des Moines this afternoon.  I'd like to have seen him.  The folks had a surprise for me.  Ray's and my room is papered.  Annie helped them.  My room looks cozy now.  Went to the party dance at Norfolk with Ralph.  I had a real good time.  Martha came back from Omaha today.  Chris R. asked me for a date for tomorrow nite.  Ralph said that he didn't care so I'm going to go.
February 14, 1931 - Washed up my clothes.  Got a finger wave this afternoon at Louise Volck's.  Went to Pilger tonite.  Ralph, Chris and I.  There was a terrible crowd there.  You couldn't dance, you just stepped on other people's feet.  A fellow from Norfolk got the Chevrolet.  Went back to Wayne after the dance.  That ride home seems like a nightmare or a bad dream to me.  I don't believe I'll ever forget it.  I'll never break a date or step out on Ralph as long as we are going together!

Uncle Soren is someone I know from the new ancestry/genealogy information from Cousin David in Washington State.  Soren is the son of Kiersten, and Kiersten is the sister of Maren and Maren is the mother of Bill/Papa.  And just to do it before I forget, there will be a future reference to Uncle Pete, and I am guessing that is Soren's brother since he did have a brother by that name and I don't know of any other Pete that would fit the bill.

I must chuckle at Grandma counting the times she thought of Chris.  She doesn't mention how many times she thought of Ralph.  But maybe that is because he didn't ask her to do that.  So, there!  I see it turned out to be a disaster to go out with Chris, especially since Ralph was along, too.  Kinda nutty.  But she seems to have learned her lesson.

The photo is of Grandma Anna, Uncle Ray and Grandma.  I am not sure when it was taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment