Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Job hunt


January 31, 1931 - Francis went home about 9:30.  Washed my hair and F.S. finger-waved it for me.  Annie and Ola took me to apply for schools.  Went to districts 36, 41, 74, 79, 83.  36 and 41 sound most favorable.  Mom, Ray, Willie and I went down to Schellenberg's tonite.  F.S. and I went down town about 8:30, saw R.K. and I.R., asked us to go to dance at Carroll, we said yes, took our mother's 1/2 hour to say it.  Wasn't any dance so we went out to [???] and Marie's.  Played cards and had lunch.  Irwin is going home tomorrow.  Chris B. is going to take him back.
February 1, 1931 - Momma's 20th wedding anniversary.  Fixed my clothes for school.  Ralph came about 6 o'clock and we went to the first show at Norfolk.  The show was "Charlie's Aunt."  I never laughed so hard in all my life.  Got a box of Johnson's Chocolates tonite!
February 2, 1931 - Groundhog's Day and also Pete Petersen's birthday.  Prof. Chinn lectured for quite a while upon the groundhog and the falsity of the superstition about its shadow, etc.!  Got my package form Aunt Nan.  A ready-made print dress with beads to match.  It fits (the dress) me just fine.  Wrote some letters tonite and went to bed about 11 o'clock.  Went to hear the "Welsh Imperial Singers".  It was marvelous, that's all I can say.

I find it interesting that Grandma calls it her mom's wedding anniversary, but not her mom and dad's, or parents, etc.

I looked up "Charlie's Aunt" and the synopsis was too lengthy for posting here, and I didn't even read it.  (It is late, the power was out due to the rain, and my wakefulness is quickly fading; maybe another day I'll study up on Charlie's Aunt -- I think a character named Lord Fancourt Babberley is worth more investigation.)

Here is another old photo, older than 1931 but it's pretty cute. 

That is all I have on this.  Perhaps if I were more awake . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment