Saturday, September 7, 2013

The sassy is coming out


January 22, 1931 - Went to Social Dancing tonite.  Studied until after twelve tonite.
January 23, 1931 - Got the last of my work handed in today.  Martha was coming to get me tonite and take me to the party dance tonite.  Wendel Warnemunde was giving one at the Town Hall.  She didn't show up and I'm wondering why?
January 24, 1931 - Registered for the new semester this morning and helped Miss Elefson correct Children's Literature paper.  Cleaned my room this afternoon and went home on the evening train.  Momma and I went downtown tonite.  We saw Ray.  He's going to come in tomorrow morning and take me someplace.  I'm not going to stay home tomorrow, that's one sure cinch.  I've worked too hard this last week and I need some fun!

I would agree with Grandma there.  I don't know how much work she had to turn in, but she was left high and dry for the party dance and with no smart phone around, she couldn't even tweet about it.  And then there was the registering and the correcting and the cleaning.  My goodness!

The photo is her high school graduation picture in 1930, so it isn't too far removed from January 1931.  If you look close, you can see the sassy there.

2 comments:

  1. went home on the evening train --- was this from Wayne State in Wayne to Winside???, a daily train that goes thru Winside and Wayne?? Good days and rural mass tran.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must have been since Grandma went to college in Wayne. I wonder how long a 12-mile train trip was in those days . . .

    ReplyDelete