Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Beg pardon?


January 4, 1931 - Emelia called up and wanted Martha to come out and help her.  Ray took me back to Wayne tonite.  Martha went along.  We had a flat tire about three miles from Wayne.
January 7, 1931 - I went to the dance Emmett Anderson and Helen Iorman gave at the City Hall tonight with Ralph.  I had a real good time.  I wore Helen's black chiffon dress.
January 11, 1931 - Edwin, Florence, Wendell, Martha, Hans, Ralph and I went to Wayne and saw "Hook, Line and Sinker."  Wheeler and Woolsey were leading characters.  It was funny.  Ralph "looked at the pavement."  We had fun before and after the show.

Okay, what does it mean that Ralph "looked at the pavement".  Was he shy?  Did he lose his lunch?  I have no clue what that means.  I even looked it up and got nowhere.

The poster is from the movie, obviously, and I am glad to read it was a comedy.  The poster gives the feeling of a psychedelic horror flick to me.  I had not heard of Wheeler and Woolsey but read up a little bit. 

I am guessing most of the people Grandma mentions here and in future posts are friends of hers as opposed to people I should know.  If anyone reading thinks there is a significant I am missing in any of Grandma's entries, please let me know.

Welcome to Cousin David in Washington State, if he is still reading.  And to Bernie, his wife, too, if she has an interest.  David and I have been emailing furiously regarding family history and connections and pretty much as soon as I hit "send", I think of something else to ask or discuss.  Thankfully work and stuff at home interrupts me so I do not make myself too much of a nuisance.

2 comments:

  1. Emelia and Martha would be Brogren girls (Mom's cousins), Edwin and Florence are Joanie Roberts great grand parents. Edwin and Hans were Brogren boys. I think the Ralph mentioned was Ralph Kahler. Don't know if he and Mom were dating or just good friends. Never heard of "looking at the pavement."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the i.d.'s. I bet they will come in handy in my attempts to keep things straight in my mind.

    ReplyDelete