Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hollywood trivia


January 25, 1931 - Ray came in about 11 o'clock.  Went to Ola's in Ray's car and from there up to Uncle Hans' in a lumber wagon with Edwin, Hans and Verne.  Stopped and got F.S. at the farm. She was surprised.  We were a pretty looking sight and surely surprised Martha.  I kept still up there for 20 minutes.  R.K. came in during that time, acted rather guilty.  Then "cute little nosie".  That broke the ice.  He took me to Wayne and we saw Ruth Chatterton in "The Right to Love."  Didn't like it.  Found out why M.B. didn't come Friday nite.  R.K. told her he'd see to it that I got there, but he sure didn't come.  Wonder why!  I'll never ask him!!!
January 26, 1931- Beginning of new semester.  Oodles too many in Nature Study class.  A bunch have to be weeded out, I hope I'm not one of them.  Arithmetic class too large.  Costerisan took half of the class and I'm in that half of the class.  Alas!  Alack!  Just my luck.  Aunt Mildred and Helen went to the show and were wild about it.  I knew they would be.  They said it was "so true to life."
January 27, 1931 - Grammar class too large.  Having a heck of a time.  Went to the lodge dance with the family.  Carl Bark and a friend of his, Norman Lee, came over from Wakefield.  We sure had a good time.  I danced the "Rye Waltz" and a square dance with Uncle Chris.  Carl took Helen home, and I came with Norman.  He seems like a real nice fellow.

I wonder if the ride in the lumber wagon was the fun that Grandma was looking for.  She doesn't seem to have minded.  It is fun reading about her and Ralph.  Not sure of the spelling of Costerisan; I think maybe it is a professor's name.  And I am not at all sure with some of Grandma's handwriting when she refers to someone by their initials -- lots of peering and squinting and removal of bifocals going on to try to get them right.

The photo is of Ruth Chatterton, purportedly from the movie Grandma saw.  She seems to have a led a multi-faceted life.  Paraphrased from wikipedia:  After she retired from acting in her mid-40's, she began a successful writing career, producing several novels.  She was also one of the few aviatrices at the time, and was good friends with Amelia Earhart.  Chatterton crisscrossed the U.S. several times solo.  She served as sponsor of the Sportsman Pilot Mixed Air Derby and the annual Ruth Chatterton Air Derby during the 1930s; she also opened the National Air Races in Los Angeles in 1936.  She taught British film and stage actor Brian Aherne to fly, an experience he described at length in his autobiography.  Her second husband was George Brent.



1 comment:

  1. Wonder what "cute little nosie" meant? Never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete