Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Not an English teacher yet



March 20, 1931 - Ray came after me tonite after school.  He stopped at Uncle Charlie's to get those electrical books that U. C. is giving him for a graduation present.  But U. C. wasn't home.  I went down to Florence's this evening.  We had a real good talk.  Mom went to G. P. tonite and I stopped in there for her on my way home.  Coming home this afternoon Ray and I watched them working on the new highway east of Winside.
March 21, 1931 - Worked like the dickens today.  Cleaned up the house, washed out my clothes, ironed, and frosted cakes!  All the kids came, Florence S., Ralph, Loretta, Hans, Martha, Edwin, Willie, Lillie.  Mom and Grandad played P. Rummy, too.  Made just three tables.  Had sandwiches, salad, pickles, coffee, jello, cake.  It was 4 o'clock before the kids left.  Ralph and Edwin took Florence and I to Wayne tonite.  It was five before Florence and I went to sleep.
March 22, 1931 - Got up about 11 o'clock and had breakfast.  Did the dishes.  A. M. and U. Chris left about 2:30 for Wakefield.  R.K. and E.B. came about 2:30.  I drove the car.  We followed the Highway to Coleridge (from Laurel we went to Dixon and back to Laurel.  Stopped east of L. by R.R. and took pictures.)  From Coleridge followed cow trails.  We teeter-tottered, went down slippery-slides, picked up rocks, picked pine bouquets.  Finally we came to Hartington.  Had a hamburger.  Florence drove home.  This has been a glorious day.

I believe it is "Ralph and Edwin took Florence and me to Wayne . . . " but I am only pointing that out so Grandma knows that I know how it should be. 

I think G.P. on March 20 is Grandma Petersen, but it is just a guess.  I also had to guess on a few of the names of the kids that came on the 21st.  Grandma's handwriting left just a tad to be desired.  Plus, I am typing this in a dark room and using the light from the next room to read.  I need to get a good lamp to put on or near my desk.

I just realized Grandma hasn't been to a dance or a movie for a while.  I wonder what is up with that.

I know the photo isn't from 1931, it isn't even from the 1930's but I really like it.  And Ralph was mentioned in this post, and the photo is from a Kahler reunion.  So, it all fits.  I think it was a Kahler reunion anyway . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment