Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Counting


March 29, 1931 - I got up late this morning and had to build a fire, of course.  Had breakfast and dinner.  Laid around all afternoon waiting for those kids to come but they didn't show up! Brr!  I was peeved.  R.K., F.S. and E.B. came here tonite but I asked R.K. to take me home a few minutes, 'cause I wanted to get some things from home.  We had a gloryiferous time going and coming.  Went over the new highway and was it bumpy!  I counted 70 bumps and then quit.  Talked with Mom about an hour, while the kids played "mill".
March 30, 1931 - Warmer today but still cloudy.  Talked to Jane this afternoon.  She walked down town with me.  Saw Hattie in at The Golden Rule.  Hugo Berg and his mother were up here this evening.  While Hugo played and Aunt Mildred sang, Uncle Chris helped me with my Arithmetic.  I went to bed about 11 o'clock, I was sleepy.  Went up to Wilma and Tillie's room this morning as usual.
March 31, 1931 - Warm and like spring today.  Went up to Tillie and Wilma's room this morning.  We got out of Rural School Management early today.  Ironed this noon and after school.  Went with Mae Beckenhaur to a piano and voice recital in the auditorium this afternoon.  Arlowynne was here for supper.

I am not surprised to read that Grandma counted the bumps in the highway for a while.  I am not sure which cat it was, but somebody's cat sat on Grandma's lap and kneaded like cats like to do.  Apparently it was a really good kneader, so much so that Grandma counted each knead.  She ended up with quite a big number, but I forget now what it was and whether or not Grandma gave up after it got a bit ridiculous.  For some reason, I count the back-and-forths when I am sawing.  (There has to be a better term for each mini-cut while sawing, but I can't think of it.)  I did it just last night while I was cleaning up the fallen tree mess in the goats' pen.  I didn't plan to, just found myself counting, branch after branch.

There they are, the one little escape artist and his brother; the reasons I had to cut up the fallen tree and re-arrange the fence a bit.  Goofy goats.

No comments:

Post a Comment