Thursday, October 17, 2013

A sad time and a punk time


April 10, 1931 - Went home on the train this evening.  Florence S. met me at the depot.  We waited for my pictures but they didn't come.  Grandma Petersen died today.  Momma and Ray went to Norfolk with Dora and George.  Dora, Mom and Ray went to see Aunt Mary Kahler.  She's been at the Verges Sanitarium, she has heart trouble.  Ray got his graduation clothes.  I went to Ella and Herman Willers' chivari dance tonite with Leo Jordan.
April 11, 1931 - I slept late this morning.  Momma laid around all day, not feeling good.  Went down to Florence's this afternoon.  We got my pictures.  They were all good.  Went out to the farm with Florence this evening.  We went to Hoskins to the dance with Ed and Mr. Schellenberg.  Florence and I came home with Edwin and Ralph.  We went up to Martha's and saw her pictures.  I stayed with Florence at the farm tonite. We had a punk time at the dance.
April 12, 1931 - Ray came at 9 o'clock and took Florence and I to Annie and Ola's.  We had dinner, then Ralph and Edwin came and we went to Norfolk to see Aunt Mary.  Alice and Raymond went along.  Florence and I stayed in town at Schellenberg's while the boys did the chores at Ehlers'.  Went up to Uncle Hans'.  We had lunch and played cards.  We were real tired.  I stayed at Annie's tonite.  Got in the house just as the clock struck twelve.

I am not sure I have heard the term "punk time" before.  Perhaps I lead a sheltered life.

Let's see, the Grandma I know would not have said "not feeling good" nor "took Florence and I".

Was Schellenberg's an eatery?  I see that name popping up every now and then but haven't asked yet.  Also, I have heard of "chivari" dances -- my spellcheck doesn't like that word but does not have a replacement for it.  Does anyone know the correct spelling and what it means exactly?  (I am just full of questions lately.)

Regarding the Welsh Church mentioned in an earlier post -- I looked through the Wayne County history book (albeit somewhat quickly) and did not see such a church name.  Perhaps it was not the official name and I can find it if I read something other than the paragraph headings.  But, it is late and I have to take care of the critters so . . .

The photo, I am pretty sure, is Ola and Annie.  I am guessing a wedding photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment