Thursday, October 24, 2013

Leo and Mamie


April 16, 1931 - The weather is just gorgeous today.  Aunt Mildred didn't have time to come home for supper.  Washed my hair this afternoon.  Ralph came about 7:30 and we went to the play at Louise Lautenbaugh's school.  It was real good.  Herman Bogins played his part real good.  Edwin and Florence came home with us.  Martha, Meta, Willie and Hans were there, too.  Edwin is going to take Ralph's care home and wash it.  It needs it!
April 17, 1931 - I did the Saturday work up today, so I wouldn't have to stay tomorrow.  Schellenberg's were in Wayne this afternoon.  Momma was with them and so I went home that way.  Ray and I went to Hoskins tonite to Mamie and Leo Jensen's chivari dance.  I didn't care much about going but I had a pretty good time anyway.  All the Carroll kids were there.  I saw Tommy Morris for the first time in ages.  He's still the same old Tommy.
April 18, 1931  - Cloudy.  I cleaned up the house today.  Went with Ray to Annie's this noon and had dinner there.  We got the spread at the post office and looked at it.  I sneaked it into the house and put it on her bed.  She was glad and surprised.  Martha, Edwin, Ralph, Florence and I went to Norfolk tonite to see Aunt Mary.  Alice and Raymond were there.  Aunt Mary's going home tomorrow.  We had fun down town before we went to the hospital.  Running away with the car, hunting bums, buying candy and salted peanuts and chasing bums.  Martha stayed all nite with me.

Seems there has been a bit of a dry spell with dances, so I am glad Grandma got to squeeze one in.  And it was Leo and Mamie's dance.  Oh, if I could have a photo of them in 1931.  I only knew them as cute little old people.  I didn't know them well, but I found them to be really special.

Since Grandma underlined the word "bums", I am hopeful that they weren't really hunting and chasing people, but something else entirely.  Unless someone else knows what that might have meant in 1931, I guess I'll never know.

I do not know who all is in the photo, and it may have been high school senior skip day, but I thought it was a neat photo.

2 comments:

  1. Mamie and Leo Jensen, parents of Mary Lea (Lage) and Bob Jensen. A really, really good family.

    ReplyDelete