Thursday, October 10, 2013

Photos of one sort or another


April 1, 1931 - Dr. Lewis spoke in chapel this morning.  He contrasted the conditions of 100 years ago with those of the present day.  The program committee of the Lutheran Club had a committee meeting this afternoon.  It started raining tonite.  Mom called up and said Ray wouldn't come after me because he didn't have his car fixed.  I went to a piano and voice recital this evening with Opal Wingett and Mildred Grier.  I enjoyed it immensely.
April 2, 1931 - Rainy all day today.  Got my estimate grades at the office.  I also found out that my scholarship pays for my certificate.  It makes me feel real good.  Grammar test wasn't so bad but it could have been easier.  I went home on the train tonite.  There were lots of girls that went home on the train.  Ray met me and carried my suitcase up the hill.  Mom, Ray and I went to the movie and saw "Sweethearts On Parade."  Got the Laurel pictures today.  Talked to Florence over the phone tonite.
April 3, 1931 - Washed my hair this morning and went down to Anna Pete's this afternoon and had it cut and finger waved.  It feels grand and glorious.  Mamma and I went down to Schellenberg's tonite.  I had a good talk with Florence.  We all played Pinochle Rummy.  Ed Schellenberg's were there and we had a real good time.

I am not surprised, but I didn't know Grandma went to college on a scholarship.  Good for her.  And I am really glad her hair felt grand and glorious!

The photo is from Sweethearts on Parade -- I couldn't find a photo of a poster.

I don't know that Grandma mentioned when she mailed her film, but the Laurel pictures were taken on March 22.  I am impressed with the film processing and the mail service of the time.  Not bad 1931, not bad.

2 comments:

  1. I can remember getting a permanent at Anna Pete's beauty shop. I was pretty young. It was called a machine permanent and all the curlers were hooked up to some kind of a device that heated the curlers. Looked like something out of a horror movie. She is the same lady that scolded me when I was in high school for trying to cut my bangs. She said "Don't ever do that again!" And you know what I never did.

    ReplyDelete