Thursday, October 3, 2013

Wayne County


March 23, 1931 - Rainy and misty all day.  Went up to Tillie and Wilma's room as usual.  An entertainment at the school auditorium tonite but it was so cold and snowy I didn't go.  Aunt Mildred and I popped corn.  Then played cards with Mrs. Smith.  I went to bed quite early, for some reason I was tired, but I don't know why! [At the bottom of the page in handwriting different from Grandma's:  "In the morning, down the stream of time, goes your old friend in a watermelon rind." - M.S.]
March 24, 1931 - Really rained today.  Studied and went to be early again tonite.
March 25, 1931 - Helped Aunt Mildred get ready for her Larkin Club party.  This evening Mrs. Smith and I played 66 and 500.  I tried to study but failed.  Helped Aunt Mildred get the lunch ready.  After everyone had gone we did the dishes and straightened up the house before we went to bed.  Went to a piano and voice recital this afternoon.  Arithmetic and Algebra tests today.  Went to Lutheran Club tonite with Tillie.  Dr. Phelon spoke about his experiences in China.

I don't have anything to add to Grandma's words here, so I'll resort to using some tidbits I read in the History of Wayne County book I found recently.  I have only skimmed it so far, but I see that Henry Langenberg had the last herd of buffalo in Wayne County, kept somewhere near Hoskins.  Of the first four Wayne County Superintendents, three were women and one looked like she could have been a movie star.  The first county seat was LaPorte, a town I have never heard of.  I haven't found where the town was, but the cemetery which I suppose was fairly close, was six miles southeast of Wayne.  There are some depressing stories of deaths by freezing and fire and murder, but I won't share those.  I'll read more to find something interesting and upbeat for a later post.

The photo is Winside's Main Street, but I do not know when it was taken.  What a nice, wide, muddy street!

2 comments:

  1. I remember Gladys Porter as a Wayne County Superintendent, for schools, like rural.
    I took a test with her to see if I was able to start Kindergarten at 4. This was because my mother was needed to teach at a school west of Winside, 7 miles, by the Swedish Cemetary. So I got to go to school with my mom. Shirley Bell Trautwein would take us on her drive to her rural school. And drop us off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know the district number of that school, by chance?

      Delete