Friday, September 28, 2012

Scrabble drought


"January 8, 1994:  Greta took me to store for groceries.  Helen and I played Scrabble -- first time since early November.  Three funerals at St. Paul's this week -- Goldie Hilpert, Juliene Miller and C. O. Witt.
January 9, 1994:  Greta came and put the Christmas decorations away.
January 12, 1994:  Arlene and Art took me to Dr. Sprik -- don't go again until July.  Went to Ladies Aid."

That's quite a dry spell with no Scrabble.  But Grandma probably kept sharp and in shape with crossword puzzles or those anacrostics puzzles if she had any laying around.

I remember hearing C. O. Witt's name here and there more than I remember him for himself.  It seems to me that Michele and I went to his place when we were pretty young, but still old enough (back then, at least) to go wandering around by ourselves.  I think Mom worked for him at one time way back when.  My recollection from a child's perspective is that it should have been in business forever.  I thought it was unique and special and a place where good things happened.

For no particular reason, here's a photo of Grandpa and Uncle Elmer drinking PBR, something I am pretty sure was not served at Witt's.


3 comments:

  1. You're right about me working for CO Witt. That was my first job. I was 14 years old. My wages were 25 cents per hour. And people in Winside did not tip. Worked there a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pinball machines at COs along with the gems is what I remember.
    Jim H., (Jim H. is how I signed my english papers, Oh, and the diagraming of sentence structure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the pinball machines must have been gone when we were there or I would have remembered. But then again, maybe at that time I wasn't a big fan yet.

    ReplyDelete