Thursday, September 27, 2012

Childhood names carry on



"January 2, 1994:  Wacker farm building burned down -- a complete loss.  Greta took Lester to hospital -- has a sort of infection in his left leg.
January 6, 1994:  Cold and windy -- wind chill of - 40 degrees.  Mickie T. and Lila H. here in evening to audit church books.
January 7, 1994:  I had Bonnie F. play Pinochle for me at Arlene R.'s.  She entertained for the play off party."

I wonder how many people still call Mick Topp, Mickie.  There can't be that many other than family but it makes me smile that Grandma did.  Of course, Ann Behmer always called Tom Tommy, I am pretty sure.  (That looks funny....the comma with Mick/Mickie looks odd, but not using on for Tom/Tommy is equally odd.  I guess there is no winning on that score.  I should have just re-worded my sentences.)

Is the Wacker building the one that had the cat inside that Mom walked by and "petted" through the window every day?  If so, I wonder if it perished in the fire.

How nice to have a comment from Jim Hansen on yesterday's post.  And how ironic that his mom's name popped up today.  Obviously, I did not know Lila like Mom and Grandma and Grandpa did, but I did find her delightful.  And Grandpa really, really enjoyed her company and making her laugh.  Thank you Jim for commenting and even reading this blog since it is quite one-family-centered.  I'll have to make an effort to be a bit more worldly, or rather more Winside-ly in the future.  Welcome aboard!  Somewhere we have photos of your boys in Grandpa's garden.  Will have to see if I (translation = Mom) can find those.

Instead in my new effort to be more Winside-ly, here is a photo of . . . Winside.  Can't see Wacker's building; it would be too far away even if it was built when this photo was taken. 

6 comments:

  1. Yes that is the building where I petted the cat through the window everyday. However, when the building burned down it no longer belonged to Wackers. Dennis Wade owned it at the time and the cat was no longer there I am glad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still refer to Mickey as Mickey.
    Jim Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4430767168687&set=a.1749359255165.98627.1274355716&type=1&theater

    Do I have this right??

    Jim H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its the photo of the quilting ladies,
    I want to make sure I have them right,
    Left to right,
    Lois K, Arlene R, Bertha??,Lila, Rose T??, Mrs Iversen, Arlene P

    JIm Hansen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to say you are right on all counts, but will defer to Mom for the final word.

      Delete