Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Petunias

"May 22, 1993:  Greta and I to Wakefield to buy petunias, etc.
May 23, 1993:  Greta, Howard and I to Wahoo for Jayme's confirmation.  Nancy, Tom, Merilyn there, too.  Also Sandy and Hazel -- friends of Jenny and Bill.
May 24 - 27, 1993:  Sorting, cleaning and putting things upstairs."

They are quite ordinary, but I really like petunias.  And they seem to like me.  I had volunteer petunias for many years until we cleared out that particular flower bed and had a deck built above it.  Granted, the volunteers were all pale lavender and didn't have the variety you can get by buying new each season, but I appreciated that they tried so hard and came back so nicely.

I learned this just now from wikipedia:  "Petunia is genus of 35 species of flowering plants of South American origin, closely related to tobacco, cape gooseberries, tomatoes, deadly nightshades, potatoes and chili peppers."  How nutty is that?

I know the photo is of tulips but with all the dry and brown going on right now, I thought some green and other colors would be welcome.  And we get Grandma's behind as a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment