Monday, June 4, 2012

Potatoes

"March 23 and 24, 1992:  Quilted at the church in p.m.
March 24, 1992:  Howard planted 36 hills of potatoes.
March 25, 1992:  Arlene R. hlped me quilt.
March 27, 1992:  Pinochle Club at Ida's.  I won high prize."

Potatoes. Potatoes! Potatoes!!  I wonder how many pounds of potatoes were planted in and how many pounds were eventually eaten from Grandpa's garden.  Grandpa would sometimes count the potatoes from a hill when he dug them up.  Well, when someone else dug and he stood and watched the counting.  He would act all matter-of-fact when it seemed all were found but then another one showed itself.  As if to say, "Of course there are more.  These are my potatoes."  But it was all a big act and great fun.  I wish the greatgrands would have had more experiences with Grandpa and the garden.

Here's a photo of Grandpa, The Potato Stud.

No comments:

Post a Comment