Saturday, June 2, 2012

More scrabble, more quilting

"March 15, 1992:  Amarylis that Tom's gave to me several years ago is blooming -- 4 big blooms on one stem.
March 16, 1992:  Helen and I played Scrabble in p.m.
March 17, 1992:  Finished piecing the Shadow Box quilt top."

I am pretty sure I remember an amarylis going crazy with blooms.  Whether it was this one or not, I'm not sure.  Seems the one I am thinking of had to have some kind of support or it would fall over.

I know she didn't miss them, but I did.  Grown-up kids do, but younger ones probably don't know that Grandma used to have lots of plants in the bay window on the front of the house.  I honestly do not remember what kinds she had but only that there were lots of different ones.  She grew tired of caring for them and I understand that completely (over 20 violets I had at one time...yikes) but I was sad to see the live plants go and the artificial ones come in.  I used to have to be careful around those plants when I was plucking up box elders bugs and dropping them in a mason jar of oil to kill them.  And of course, Jack famously used at least one plant for a litter box.  Or tried to anyway.  Maybe that was the icing on the cake for Grandma to not have live plants with dirt anymore.  I wish I had a photo, but I don't.

Since there was a mention of Grandpa planting the garden in the last post, I'll put a photo up that is the best I've found lately showing the size of his garden and it is still not showing at least a third of it.  I wonder how many hours he spent each year keeping that thing looking so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment