Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hair business

"December 11, 1991:  Women of ELCA -- Christmas potluck dinner.
December 12, 1991:  Got a permanent at Wilva's.
December 14, 1991:  Greta, Lester, Dale, Dane and Kyleah here for dinner and afternoon for Howard's birthday.  Lynn stayed home to bake cookies. etc."

The mention of a permanent reminds me of the issues we had getting Grandma's hair fixed after she moved to Lincoln.

She had one appointment a week at the beauty college (do they still call them that?) and I was happy to get her to and from.  The problem was how long it took.  These were students doing the work and there was some instructor involvement in checking or helping or who-knows-what.  So, the appointments would take quite a long time sometimes.  I adjusted my lunch time and was able to make up any extra time away easily.  But this did not sit well with Grandma. 

So, she hatched the plan that she would take the HandiVan to get there and then I would just have to pick her up.  The college would call when she was done and since it was downtown where I was, I could get over there fairly quickly.  This opened up time to have lunch together.  Sometimes Grandma had something fixed and ready to re-heat and other times we drove through Runza or Arby's and then ate at her place.  We had a great time and I always got a hug before I left.  The everyday stuff that memories are made of.

Appropriately, here is a picture of Grandma at her place in Lincoln with some great-looking hair and a cute great-granddaughter thrown in for good measure.

3 comments:

  1. Where in the world was I that I wasn't up for Daddy's birthday? I can't remember missing his birthday and I note that you weren't there either. Do you remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but I probably stayed home since Rick was still in the hospital. Wouldn't seem right to go up and celebrate while he lay about eating hospital food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about the birthday. Just wanted to comment about Mom and her hair appointment arrangement. It was so like her that she didn't want to inconvenience anyone when it came to taking her some place. I know she just hated to ask. Guess that's where we get our independence streak.

    ReplyDelete