Monday, May 14, 2012

Poor Nancy

"December 1, 1991:  Thanksgiving dinner at Tom's.  Helen and John came with Greta, but Howard stayed home -- didn't trust the weather.  Streets and trees covered with ice -- ice on trees until Thursday.
December 4, 1991:  Rick in an accident at work -- broken collar bone and ribs -- was in ICU 5 days."

All these years later, Rick's accident is still a topic rife with ammunition to tease Nancy.  As most of you know, I received a phone call early in the morning from the hospital that Rick had been in a work accident.  We were a one-car family at that time, so I called Nancy and woke her up.  Asked if I could use her car to run to the hospital -- I guess I thought I would have it back to her in time for work, not sure.  In any event, since she had been sleeping, she wasn't yet at her best.  She declined to loan me her car and we hung up.  I called Mitch's daycare provider who lived a block away.  She sent her husband out in the dark winter morning to gas up their van.  While he was doing that, Nancy's synapses started firing a bit better and she called me back.  Said she would give me a ride to the hospital.  So, I called off the van with my thanks.

Nancy came to get me in short order and took me to the emergency room entrance.  And dropped me off.  And went on her way.  Honestly, I didn't think anything of it.  I don't know if that was because I had bigger things on my mind or if I come from a long line of people that are not easily insulted or slighted. 

Nancy got to work and related the events of the morning to her boss.  Allen looked at her aghast and clarified with her that she had indeed just left me there by myself with a husband in who-knows-what condition.  Yes, she had and now felt guilty about it.  For the record, I was fine.  Didn't need any hand-holding.  Someone to visit with as a distraction once they hauled Rick away would have been nice, but I most certainly handled it.  Rick was okay even though he did have some serious injuries that took some time to heal.  The staff at the old Lincoln General did great.

I had no photo that remotely related to the topics at hand, so here's some of Grandma's tulips.  And her car.  And her caboose.

No comments:

Post a Comment