Monday, May 21, 2012

Brrrr!

"January 6, 1992:  Lila and Mick T. came here to audit the church books.
January 14, 1992:  Some snow in evening with wind.  By Wednesday morning temperature was -8 degrees with wind chill of -45 degrees!!!
January 15, 1992:  Helen H. took Nelle T. and me to Busy Bees at Helen Jones's.  Neither of us wanted to drive when it was so cold."

Again, gotta love the three exclamation points.  If the 15th was as cold as the 14th, I wouldn't want to drive either.  Heck, I probably would have wanted to skip Busy Bees.  I say this not knowing exactly what Busy Bees was or did or is or does.  Obviously, Grandma thought it worthwhile to go.

And for those very observant readers, my last post ended on January 9.  But Grandma does show January 6 next, followed by a retelling of the 8th when she and Grandpa went to get their licenses.  She must have had distractions during this first part of January.

Here's a photo of two cut-ups.  Not sure of the occasion.  Photos of the 45th anniversary show them in different clothes, so unless they had a wardrobe change, that wasn't it.  Something special was going on given that both are wearing flowers.  I spy Grandpa's snoose (I've never tried to spell that word before -- looks funny) can peeking out of his pocket.  I like the way he is smiling at Grandma in the photo on the left.



2 comments:

  1. Busy Bees was originally an extension club. I think they came about through the County Extension Office. I know there were lots of extension clubs in the county and I'm pretty sure statewide. Think the original purpose was to educate about food preparation, preservation, etc. After a time the Busy Bees didn't want to take part in their programs and it evolved into a craft club of sorts. Busy Bees is still going in Winside but I think they just get together to play Racko or some sort of game and have lunch, etc. When the members were a little more mobil I know they would go to the Blubebird Nursery at Clarkson just about every year for a tour and of course to buy some plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, love these two pictures, but am at a loss at to what the occasion might have been.

    ReplyDelete