Thursday, May 3, 2012

Welcome to Post 100!

"October 11, 1991:  Put brick variation quilt in frame.
October 16, 1991:  Busy Bees at Ruby R.'s.
October 17, 1991:  Went with Greta in the evening to see Irene."

Woo hoo!  I have internet at home again.  Life is good.

I must admit that this post, the 100th, is a bit lacking in pizzazz.  But glad to know Aunt Irene got visitors.

I'll have to veer off a bit since I am already out of things to say about Grandma's entries.  While I was finding these writings of hers in my still-unorganized sewing room, I also ran across her dolls -- I am entrusted with keeping three of her childhood friends.  One is in pretty good shape other than her hair, another is in pretty bad shape (probably fixable, but her eyes are gone and there is a big crack in her neck which together make her look a little creepy), and one is rather in the middle of the two.

I found a doll hospital in Omaha on the internet.  The doll doctor lady said she would give quotes if supplied with photos.  I took some shots of the doll in the middle and sent them to her.  She answered pretty quickly.  Said that this particular type of doll is her favorite to work on.  She said the doll is by Armand Marseille (doesn't that sound fabulous?).  She has a bisque socket head and German glass blown eyes.  She would definitely have had a tongue at one time.  I find that curious to be sure. Once fixed, the doll should have an insurable value of about $650 and a resale value of half that, not that I would sell it.  Interesting to know, though.

I will take her to Omaha when I can and get her fixed up.  Will post before and after pictures here whenever it is all accomplished.  I will also take the two other dolls up to show the doll doctor.  She can probably tell me some trivia about them at the very least and I can decide if I want to fix them as well.  I'm a sucker for stuff like that, so likely all three will get face lifts.

I don't know if Grandma had any of her dolls when this photo was taken, but she sure looks like a little doll.  Her papa took and developed the photo, a fact I find very cool.  That's Uncle Ray with her, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment