Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Bugs and buffalo

"March 2, 1992:  Ecolab Eliminators sprayed kitchen, back porch and bathroom.
March 1, 1992:  Trinity AAL sponsored a buffalo supper -- served over 400.  Duane brought us our meals.
March 3 - 7, 1992:  All week to get things put back in place."

I note the buffalo actually happened first, but I already have my tantalizing post title so I am going to leave things in the order Grandma had them.

I am wondering how it came to be that the church was involved in a buffalo supper.  Who came up with the idea?  How close is the nearest source of buffalo?  Very interesting.  And obviously very well-received.

Here's a photo of me definitely not helping with putting things back in place.  I vaguely remember sitting on the refrigerator, but I have no idea why I decided to do that.  Did I just get lucky in not knocking over a pitcher and a can of soup, or did I rearrange them to sit beside me?  Weird kid.

1 comment:

  1. I think the buffalo supper was a fund raiser for a new roof for the church. Think they got the buffalo from a guy over by Emerson that raised buffalo.
    Years ago (when I was in school) the church had a buffalo supper every year. The money was for church things I guess. But people came from miles around. I do remember that rather than serving it buffet style like everything is now it was served "family style." This meant that every table had a platter of meat, bowls of mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetable (corn is the only one I remember) and I suppose pickles, buns, and whatever. I don't remember if there was a desert or not. But it was really a big deal.

    ReplyDelete